BOOK BY SEPTEMBER 30, 2022 AND RECEIVE $1000 OFF PER PERSON!
ROMANTIC RHINE RIVER CRUISE
Join Avalon Waterways and experience the best of worlds – enchanting cities blend in perfect harmony with their rich past and their progressive future. Our cruises will take you to some of Central Europe’s cultural hubs, where art, fine dining and historic sites abound.
10 Day Tour Including: 2 nights in Lucerne, 7 night Cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. Roundtrip flights included from Bismarck!
EXPERIENCE A RHINE ROMANCE:
• Set sail on a dramatic river cruise on the Rhine with visits to Switzerland, Germany, France, and Netherlands.
• Embark on a guided walking tour of Switzerland’s landmarks including: the Lion Monument, Old Town, Chapel Bridge, the Water Tower, Jesuit Church, and a special highlight excursion to Mount Pilatus.
• Journey to Breisach, Germany where you will experience an excursion to the Black Forest.
• View the Gothic cathedrals of Strasbourg, France.
• Join an excursion to Heidelberg Castle in Mainz, or your Avalon Adventure Host® for a hike up Philosophers’ Way.
• Experience the spectacular Rhine Gorge where ancient castles stand on cliffs 400 feet above the water.
• Enjoy a guided canal cruise through the vibrant lively city of Amsterdam.
Saturday, April 15, 2023
Depart USA and fly overnight to Europe
Today we will depart from North Dakota and fly overnight to arrive in Zurich in the early afternoon the next day. Meals, snacks and entertainment provided on the overnight flight.
Sunday, April 16, 2023
Arriving in Zurich in the early afternoon from our flights, we will make our way to Lucerne by motorcoach and check into the hotel. The rest of the day is free to start exploring this delightful town on the Reuss River. Discover the many squares and churches and how tradition and modernity stand side-by-side or spend your free time to enjoy some shopping in the city center.
Monday, April 17, 2023
Join a Guided Walking Tour, which includes the poignant Lion Monument, Old Town, Chapel Bridge, the Water Tower, and Jesuit Church.
Tuesday, April 18, 2023
Lucerne, Mount Pilatus, Basel, Embarkation Day
This morning enjoy a special Highlight Excursion to Mount Pilatus. Journey almost 7,000 feet up for spectacular views over central Switzerland (in case of bad weather, visit the Swiss Transport Museum instead).
This afternoon we make our way to Basel and board our ship, the Avalon Expression for our cruise. We set sail for Breisach tonight.
Wednesday, April 19, 2023
Breisach, Germany – Excursion to Black Forest
German Winemaking and the Beautiful Black Forest Choose from the optional excursion for today’s activities:
• Enjoy the view on a relaxing bike ride along the Rhine with your Adventure Host
• Join a full-day Guided Tour to the magical Black Forest to experience the Vogtsbauernohf open-air-museum, visit an authentic water mill, and see a traditional butter-making demonstration
• Visit a local winery in Breisach, where you will learn about German winemaking and enjoy a wine tasting.
Thursday, April 20, 2023
A Grand Cathedral and La Petite France
Today you can choose to discover Strasbourg by bike with your Adventure Host or join a City Sightseeing Tour, including Strasbourg’s Gothic, stained-glass cathedral with its celebrated ancient murals and astronomical clock, as well as the magical La Petite France District. Alternatively, take some free time in Strasbourg to visit a museum, or stroll across the city center.
Friday, April 21, 2023
Mainz, Germany Excursion to Heidelberg
Castle Walls, and the World’s Biggest Wine Barrel
Choose from the optional excursion for today’s activities:
• Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a Hike up Philosophers’ Way for an inspiring view of the city below
• Enjoy a Guided Tour to Heidelberg Castle to see the ruins of the magnificent renaissance treasure towering above the city, and its famed Great Vat, the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel”
• Enjoy a Guided City Walk in Mainz, including a visit to the Gutenberg Museum to see the history of printing.
Saturday, April 22, 2023
Rudesheim, Rhine Gorge, Koblenz
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry in Wine Country
En route to Koblenz, sail through the Rhine Gorge (a UNESCO World Heritage site). Take in the breathtaking views of ancient castles perched on cliffs 400 feet above the water, and pass the legendary Rock of the Lorelei—where the mythological siren’s songs lured ill-fated sailors. Travel through 2000 years of monumental history. Enjoy free time in Koblenz before a relaxing evening on board with dinner and live entertainment.
Sunday, April 23, 2023
Prost! Celebrate in the Rhineland Join your Adventure Host for one of today’s special activities.
• Guided Walking Tour of Cologne’s important Jewish heritage sites
• Guided City Walk of Cologne—with its soaring twin-steepled gothic cathedral.
• Bike ride like the locals in Cologne with your Adventure Host
• Or, spend free time over a glass of Kölsch pale lager—locally brewed for over 100 years!
Monday, April 24, 2023
Amsterdam, Holland – Canals of Colorful Amsterdam
During tulip season, you may take an Optional Guided Excursion to Keukenhof gardens—with more than seven million tulips, daffodils and hyacinths, as well as other bulbs, planted each year. Or, you may also choose an Optional Biking Tour to discover the countryside.
Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Depart Europe – Return flights to the US
This morning, our tour ends as we disembark the ship and depart for the airport for our return.